Layers Chalk the Walk
Saturday, May 5th, 2018
The Layers of Maquoketa will host a “Chalk the Walk” event as a part of the May 1 –May 5, 2018 Layers Celebration. This event brings together many different layers/groups/individuals who are a part of this community, defining who we are as Maquoketans. Chalk the walk will give you an opportunity to express yourself and who you are as an individual, family or friends.
Chalk the Walk is free and open to the public on Saturday, May 5th, 2018, from 9am to 3pm. There is not a fee to participate in this event. You will only need to provide your talent and enthusiasm…!
Application must be submitted by April 28th:
To submit via mail: Maquoketa Art Experience, 124 S Main, Box 993, Maquoketa, Iowa 52060. You will need to also attach a color copy or a color photo of your proposal and identify it with your name
Applications may also be picked up at: Maquoketa Chamber at 124 S Main, Maquoketa, Iowa 52060. Please include a colored photo or color copy of your proposed work and identify it with your name.
To apply Online, please Register below:
More Information About Chalk The Walk
- Please sign you chalk art work when finished.
- Please no use of words, logos or anything that is demonic, gang related or inappropriate for “family”viewing
- No Fixatives such as hairspray etc.
- People will be walking around your square, please try to keep your supplies well contained.
- Please respect others who are painting around you; i.e.: do not walk on their painting or have open beverage containers which could spill and ruin someone’s artwork.
- There will be no access to power sources during the festival. Please bring your own batteries to supply power to your electric equipment.
- Layers of Maquoketa will provide special pastel chalk. You will receive one box of chalk to start, which includes 24 colors.
- If you need additional colors a “chalk Swap” will be available and you may “swap” with other street painters as well.
- You may supply your own pastel chalk. Layers will also provide erasers for blending and baby wipes.
ARTISTS MIGHT BRING
- Hats for sun.
- Piece of cardboard to sit or stand on to avoid smearing your work.
- A pillow, gardner’s pad or knee pads to kneel on.
- Plastic to cover your work when finished.
TOP 6 TIPS FOR ARTISTS
- BRING PLENTY OF WATER TO DRINK AND USE SUNSCREEN.
- Use chalk sparingly. Build up your layers, start with a very light layer on the bottom.
- A big chalkboard eraser works great for laying down large areas of color. Moving the eraser in a circular motion.
- If you are a first timer, consider using one object as the focal point of your work-a face, a frog, etc. Small details are hard to manage on a rough surface—so think BIG and DRAMATIC.
- The more you work with chalk on concrete, the more confortable you get. So, practice on the driveway at home..