Layers of Maquoketa Event | “Springtime in Maquoketa”
After a long winter, it’s nice to finally see crocuses and tulips poking out of the ground. Warm weather will be here before we know it! As part of the Layers of Maquoketa celebration, a photography contest will be held. The theme is “Springtime in Maquoketa.” We’re asking photographers of all ages to take photos of what Springtime in Maquoketa looks like to them.
- Landscape/Still Life (fields, barns, flowers)
- Daily Life/Candid (gardening, kids playing);
- Wildlife/Livestock (birds, cows, dogs)
Photographer Classes: Adult (13 and over); Youth (12 and under)
Submission Deadline: Friday, April 27
Judging: Wednesday, May 2
Photos will be displayed at the MAE from Monday,April 30 to Saturday, May 5.
Prizes will be awarded for each category/class, as well as overall Best in Show.
All photo submissions will be judged based on: Originality/creativity, Story telling, Composition, Appropriateness to the theme, and Technical proficiency (lighting, exposure and focus).
- Photos must be originals, taken by the person whose name is associated with the photo submission.
- Photos may be edited/filtered for color (or black & white), but no “artistic” filters (e.g., watercolor, mosaic, pen & ink, etc.), nor any photoshopping should be used. No other media (e.g., paint, pen, etc.) should be applied to the photo.
- Photos must be no smaller than 5×7″ and no larger than 11×14″.
- Photos must be printed on photo-quality paper, and mounted on black foamcore board, with at least 1″ margin on all sides.
- Photo submissions should be marked on the back with the photographer’s name, age, photo category, and city of residence.
- Photo submissions can be dropped off at the MAE/Chamber of Commerce.
- Photo submissions can be retrieved after the contest beginning Monday, May 7. Any submissions not retrieved by Friday, May 8 will be discarded.
- By submitting a photo, the photographer agrees that the photo may be used in association with promotion of the Layers of Maquoketa celebration, and may be reproduced in the Maquoketa Sentinel-Press if the results of the photography contest are published.