Layers of Maquoketa Photo Contest 2019
Theme: Uniquely Maquoketa
This year, we will ponder, “What makes Maquoketa uniquely Maquoketa?” Is it the unique buildings and architecture found throughout the town? Is it the museums, public facilities, and businesses that survive and thrive year after year? Is it the new business and places of interest that have recently been created? Is it the people who love and support the community in many different ways? We are the only Maquoketa in the nation – show us what makes Maquoketa such a special place to live!”
Submission Categories – we are looking for your unique perspective on:
- Landscape/Architecture (buildings, parks, nature)
- Historical/Businesses (museums, local businesses);
- Personalities (local persons of note, people making a difference)
Adult (13 and over); Youth (12 and under)
- Submission Deadline: Friday, April 26
- Photos will be displayed at the MAE from Monday, April 28 through Saturday, May 4.
- Judging: Wednesday, May 1
- Winners will be announced at the Layers of Maquoketa Coffeehouse on Thursday, May 2.
First place and runner-up prizes will be awarded for each category/class, as well as one overall Best in Show.
All photo submissions will be judged based on:
- Appropriateness to the theme
- Technical proficiency (lighting, exposure and focus)
- Photos must be originals, taken by the person whose name is associated with the photo submission. We encourage photographers to submit photos that are taken during the current season.
- Only one submission per category, per photographer.
- Photos may be edited/filtered for color (or black & white), but no “artistic” filters (e.g., watercolor, mosaic, pen & ink, etc.), nor any photoshopping should be used. No other media (e.g., paint, pen, etc.) should be applied to the photo.
- Photos must be no smaller than 5×7″ and no larger than 11×14″.
- Photos must be printed on photo-quality paper, and mounted on black foamcore board, with at least 1″ margin on all sides.
- Photo submissions should be marked on the back with the photographer’s name, address, age (for Youth class), and location of photograph or name of subject.
- Photo submissions can be dropped off at the MAE/Chamber of Commerce.
- Photo submissions and prizes can be retrieved after the contest beginning Monday, May 6. Any submissions not retrieved by Friday, May 10 will be discarded.
- By submitting a photo, the photographer agrees that the photo may be used in association with promotion of the Layers of Maquoketa celebration, and may be reproduced in the Maquoketa Sentinel-Press, if the results of the photography contest are published.